Air fryer vs Convection oven: What Is The Difference?
Hot Air cooking is a relatively modern phenomenon that has been widely adopted due to its cooking speed and energy efficiency.
Hot air cooking involves circulating hot air around food at super-fast speeds.
Let us find out which HOT AIR cooking appliance we should use, when to use it and when not to use it, by dissecting between an air fryer and a convection oven.
Air fryer vs Convection oven
Key Features of HOT AIR COOKING APPLIANCES
Both an air fryer and a convection oven are designed to cook at very high temperatures, as such most appliances come with a thermostat to regulate the temperature.
Both appliances come with a mechanical fan to help in the even circulation of hot air around the food cooking the food evenly from all angles.
Another key feature of hot air cooking appliances is the indicators and controls for regulation purposes
Air Fryer vs Convection Oven Comparison Table
Size and Shape
Smaller with Rounded Shape
Bigger with Cuboidal Shape
Price and Durability
A Comprehensive Review of an Air Fryer vs. a Convection Cooker
Most air fryers weigh less than 20 pounds, some as low as 8 pounds depending with the manufacturer.
They usually have a rounded shape.
The temperature controls ranges from 160-degrees Fahrenheit up to 400-degree Fahrenheit
Standard air fryers have a capacity of 3.2L
They have varying power needs
How it Works
Air Fryers use patented Rapid Air Technology; the heating element is located directly above the food. Heat generated is pulled up by the fan then dispersed on the outside of the chamber to the bottom where it then ascends heating the food from all around. This video best illustrates how an air fryer works.
Some of the KEY FEATURES of air fryers include
- Digital Display Screens
- Automatic On/Off
- Automated Alerts and Timers
- Smart Touch Screens
- Temperature Control
- Smart Preset Buttons
- Enhanced Cooking Speeds (25% faster according to some counts)
- Efficiency (fast cooking speeds results in less cooking time hence low power use)
- Healthy Meals (due to minimal oil use)
- Makes cooking easy
- Can fit in any countertop due to their small size
- Multiple uses such as frying, roasting, baking and grilling
- It is not ideal for big families
- Might lack taste satisfaction for others
- Quite expensive.
Most air fryers come with a preset cooking mode for different meal types such as meat, french fries, chicken wings, fish and other varieties?. Yes, some come with cookbooks also.
The air fryer is an ideal cooking appliance as it fits in any countertop corner and uses minimum oil making it the ideal options for those of us who are health conscious.With an air fryer, you get an appliance that has multiple uses meaning that you don’t need to have different appliances for your different cooking needs.
An Air fryer use is ideal for smaller-sized families
Convection ovens have a cuboidal shape often weighing less than 15 pounds with some as low as 7 pounds.
Temperature control ranges from 150F-450F
Standard countertop convection ovens have a capacity of between 2 to 4 trays or up to four to six pizzas of 9-12” depending on the brand.
Power supply needs vary from oven to oven
How it Works
Just like air fryers convection ovens work by circulation of super-heated air by a fan on to the food in the oven.
The fan evenly circulates hot air so that the food can cook uniformly.
A complete cooking cycle involves preheating the oven to a desired cooking temperature, maintaining that temperature until the food fully cooks, then cooling back to the room temperature.
During this cycle, the oven door stays closed, opening the oven door prior to the completion of the cycle results in escape of hot air and an incomplete cooking process.
Main features of convection ovens
- Automatic shutoff
- Audible alerts
- Temperature controls
- Smart touch screen
- Variable uses; Depending on your cooking needs you can choose either convection, toast, broil, bake or pizza
- Easy to use due to the digital controls
- Fits at almost any countertop
- Makes cooking easy
- Some such as the Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Toaster Oven come with a roll-top door freeing up space in front
- Its Big size makes it ideal for use by big-sized families
- Convection ovens are harder to clean
- They take a lot of countertop space
- They are less suitable for baked foods
- Interior dimensions vary from brand to brand
- Maximum temperatures up to 450-degrees again varying from brand to brand
- Most convection ovens are made of stainless steel
A convection oven is an ideal cooking appliance with a range of uses. Its smart functionalities such as smart touch screens, timers and automatic shutoff makes using them easy.
Their size makes them ideal for big-sized families.
Final Verdict: Air Fryer vs Convection Oven Which is BETTER.
Air fryers and Convection ovens are both excellent kitchen appliances that make cooking delicious meals effortless.
The use of hot air drastically reduce cooking times, saving money and energy in the process.
Convection ovens are great appliances with its advantages. Such as
- Their big size makes them ideal for cooking large quantity of meals
- They are considerably cheaper and more durable
- Browning effect
- You can toast and broil better when using a convection oven.
- Produces juicier foods
If you have a big family with a big kitchen and an equally bigger countertop, you can consider going with the Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven it is an 1800-watts convection oven and comes with 9 pre-set functions making it ideal for a wide range of uses. Its average customer rating is 4.5/5-stars in Amazon (out of 4399 reviews)
However, when it comes to the best option between the two, the clear winner is the Air fryer. Here is why
- Air fryers cook faster as opposed to convection ovens.
- Air fryers have dish washer safe parts
- Easily fits on any countertop
- Air fryers are more versatile
- Promotes healthy cooking by using very minimal oil
- Grills better than convection oven
These are just some of the advantages an air fryer has over a convection oven. If you are looking to buy an air fryer, you should consider going with the Philips HD9230 Digital AirFryer, as it is the BEST and ORIGINAL AIR FRYER.