What is The Best Keurig Coffee Maker for Home and Office? – The difference between Keurig Models.
The Coffee industry brings in billions of dollars every year. In the US alone, millions of cups are consumed on a daily basis. This makes Americans the biggest coffee customers in the world.
For most people like us, our day isn’t complete without drinking at least one cup of coffee. It’s the first thing we drink in the morning as soon as we get up from bed.
In my case, I take a minimum of three mugs a day. I drink one in the morning, another after lunch, and the last cup during early evening. If I could have more, I probably will. However, I stop myself at three because I don’t want to exceed my limit.
Drinking coffee is quite an obsession most of us can’t get enough of. If you’re a regular coffee drinker, buying a personal coffee maker may be a good choice for you.
Why you Should Use a Keurig Coffee Maker for Home and Office?
The Keurig brand is the leading single cup coffee maker in the market. They offer various types of coffee makers that you can use both at home or at the office. Most models may have similar features and functions.
In the real world, most of us don’t have the time to brew our coffee in the morning. We are always rushing to get to work and barely have an extra few minutes to prepare our breakfast. Brewing usually takes time and many of us just don’t have it, especially in the morning.
In effect, most of us resort to instant coffee because it’s easier, more convenient, and faster to prepare. However, the Keurig coffee maker may just be the solution to your problem. There are models that are specifically targeted for home consumption while others are for office use.
Different Types of Keurig Coffee Makers
The Keurig brand has produced a variety of coffee makers that can be used at home or in the office. We’ve narrowed it down to the Keurig 2.0, K-Cup, Vue, and Rivo models.
What is a Keurig 2.0 Brewer?
This coffee system allows you to brew using K-Cups as well as small K-Carafe packs. This brewer can only operate using original Keurig coffee pods with special readable lids including all K-Cup flavors. Keurig is focusing on this model which is why they decided to stop the production of the Vue as well as some K-Cups models.
The Old and Classic Version
The original models include the K-Cup Brewing System have been in the market for a long time. In fact, the brand has already grown its variety of K-Cups which refer to coffee pods. These K-Cups are packaged individually for single use and contain coffee grounds with filter.
K-Cups are produced to provide customers with great tasting coffee in the most convenient way. The brewer allows you to prepare your choice of flavored coffee fast and easy. Thus, making the K-Cup Brewing System a very popular brand in the personal coffee maker category.
Some K-Cups are already discontinued such as the Special Edition, Platinum and Platinum Plus.
The Newer Versions
The Keurig Vue Brewer offers more options for brewing compared to the K-Cup version. However, this model has been discontinued but the Vue Packs which are created with more flavors and beverages are still produced.
Another model is the Rivo Cappuccino and Latte System that produces espresso using Rivo Lavazza Espresso Cups with a foam of milk. This coffee maker works best for brewing specialty coffee.
Both the Vue and Rivo versions do not brew K-Cups.
Things to Look for When you Compare Keurig Models
When comparing the different Keurig models, there are some important facts you need to consider. Here is a list of features you should look for in a coffee maker.
- Use – Most Keurig machines are built for specific home or office use. Check the brewer if it is listed under household use. On the other hand, if you are going to use it at the office or other buildings, it listed as commercial use.
- Size - Check the size of your kitchen counter and cabinet. This will help you determine if the machine you are looking for can be stored easily.
- Cup size – Keurig machines are built to produce single cup servings. However, you can select the size of your coffee and choose between 4 to 12 ounces a cup.
- Brewing time – Most Keurig models can brew your coffee in just one minute or even less. Other models without water reservoir can take 2 to 3 minutes. The brewing time of Keurig coffee systems are much faster compared to other coffee makers.
- My K-Cup compatibility – Not all Keurig models is compatible with the reusable K-Cup filter or third-party filters including the 2.0 brewers and the commercial models except for the K155. If you often use K-Cups, the Keurig models will do but if you want to have the option to brew ground coffee, the Mini Plus, Elite or Office Pro Premiere model may be a suitable choice.
Comparison Chart: Compare Keurig Models - Side by Side
The Keurig K10 Mini Plus and Keurig K15 K-Cups are both compact sized personal coffee makers. These are built small, portable and serves a single cup. The K10 model is already discontinued and has been replaced with the K15 model.
|Keurig K10 review||Keurig K15 review|
| Since the K10 brewing system has no water reservoir, you’ll have to add water to every cup. You can brew your coffee in just 2 minutes. You can choose from 3 cup sizes between 6, 8, and 10 ounces. This coffee machine can accept K-Cup packs as well as reusable third party filters. Aside from coffee, you can also brew tea, hot cocoa, and other specialty beverages. It comes with a removable dip tray to accommodate small travel mugs.|| Meanwhile, the K15 coffee maker has similar features as the K10. It has the same brewing time and can prepare any cup size between 6 to 10 ounces. The K15, on the other hand, is manufactured with a water reservoir. It also has a removable dip tray that can accommodate travel mugs with a height up to 5.2 inches. Once you finish brewing your cup of coffee, the system will automatically turn off to save energy.|
| Pros: || Pros: |
| Cons :|| Cons: |
Both brewing systems are great for people who are satisfied with drinking 1 cup of coffee. The K10 mini plus may be more appealing to travelers because of its light and compact design. You can easily take it on your weekend holiday trips.
Meanwhile, the K15 may be a good choice for people who have a smaller space at home because this personal coffee machine will not take up too much space.
2. Keurig K50 vs. K55 vs. K45
However, the K45 has already been discontinued and has been replaced by the K55 model. The Keurig K55 is one of the most popular models for first-time users. It has all the basic features and works well with a variety of K-Cups.
All three models can brew a cup size of 6, 8, and 10 ounces and have a removable water reservoir.
Keurig K50 review
This all-purpose coffee maker is great for brewing coffee, tea, hot cocoa, specialty drinks and iced beverages. However, it doesn’t come with a filter but it does have a variety of 6 coffee pods to get you started.
Keurig K55 review
This single serve coffee maker comes with K-cup pods, 2 water filters and water filter handle. It has a water reservoir that allows you to brew at least 6 cups before requiring a refill.
Keurig K45 review
This model includes a water filter handle, 1 charcoal filter and a 12 piece K-Cup variety pack.
The K45, on the other hand, may be better suited for a single user.
- It’s a great way to create specialty coffee.
- It brews quickly making it convenient for a quick cup of coffee in the morning.
- It may have the tendency to breakdown after some time.
- It’s fun to brew different flavored coffee pods. You won’t have to worry about tasting last night’s brew from the machine.
- The coffee is just warm and not hot which was disappointing
- It is quite affordable.
- It doesn’t make noisy sounds which makes it great for an early morning brew.
- The machine seems to easily deteriorate after a couple of uses.
The K50 may be more suitable for people on a budget while the K55 may be appropriate for individuals who are satisfied with the basic features of a coffee maker. The K45, on the other hand, may be better suited for a single user.
3. Keurig K425 vs. K450 vs. K475
The K425 from the Plus Series uses a Keurig 2.0 brewing technology and can accommodate K-Cup and K-Carafe coffee pods. Meanwhile, the K450 brewing system has already been discontinued and is replaced by the K475 model which can optimize the recommended setting of your beverage.
Keurig K425 review
You can brew 4 cups of carafe as easy as a single cup serving. The machine is built with strength and temperature control buttons so you can adjust the taste of your coffee depending on your preference. You can brew your coffee in 9 different sizes.
Keurig K450 review
The K450 can brew 10 sizes between 4 to 30 ounces. It is built with a color touch screen display, programmable settings, strength control, water filter and an automatic on and off system. It is identical to the K400 model except that the K400 doesn’t have a water filter system.
Keurig K475 review
This coffee maker includes 6 K-Cup pods, water filter handle and 2 filters. You can brew at least 8 cups before you have to refill your machine.
- This coffee maker is very easy to set-up.
- I had no issues on getting errors or clogging.
- The setting allows you to automatically turn on the machine at a specific time.
- It can only accommodate Keurig branded coffee packs.
- It’s simple, reliable and convenient. Plus, it operates quietly.
- You can program the setting based on your preference whether you want your coffee strong or light.
- This coffee maker is limited to using K-Cups.
- Your coffee is always strong.
- The touchscreen controls are easy to operate.
- The K-Carafe tastes mild and is not as strong as it should be.
If you want a fresh brew of coffee with just a push of a button, the K425 may be a good choice for you. You can easily set and program your brewer to adjust your preference. Meanwhile, if you enjoy trying out different flavored coffees without worrying about the cost, you might just enjoy using the K450.
The K475, on the other hand, is a single serving programmable coffee maker that is premium made to satisfy your craving.
4. Keurig K525 vs. K550 vs. K575
The K525 Plus Series is designed as the ultimate premium coffee maker while the K550 is also equipped with the Keurig 2.0 brewing technology. The K575 Brewing System provides a 2.8-inch touch screen
Keurig K525 review
This premium coffee maker can serve up to 10 sizes. It has similar features to the K475 and more. This machine has an extra hot water system and night-light feature.
Keurig K550 review
The K550 includes a Carafe, 4 Carafe pods, 6 K-Cup pods, water filter handle and cartridge. It has an auto brew system and customizable night-light.
Keurig K575 review
The K575 comes with 6 K-Cup pods, water filter handle and 2 water filters. It provides multiple sizes for K-Cup pods and Carafe-pods.
- It’s great for customizing your coffee whether it’s the volume or temperature.
- The night-light is a nice addition.
- It makes a noisy sound every time it operates.
- The large touch screen display provides clear information.
- The lid is wide enough for you to fill with water without spilling any.
- The needle tends to get clogged up easily.
- Since the water reservoir is larger, the water lasts longer in between refills.
- The touch screen feature is easy to operate.
- The pump of the brewer is noisy.
The K525 may be suitable for people who like brewing more than 1 cup and prefer a bigger water reservoir.
The K550, on the other hand, may be a good fit for people who are looking for a coffee maker that instructs them what to do to help minimize errors. Meanwhile, if you like extra-large display screens, the K575 may be more appropriate for you.
5. Keurig K200 vs. K250
The K200 is a stylish and compact coffee maker while the K250 provide you more options to control the strength of your coffee.
keurig k200 review
The K200 has 11 colorful designs to choose from. You can brew your coffee in 9 different sizes. It has an efficient strength control system that allows you to adjust the taste of your coffee to suit your preference.
Keurig K250 review
The K250 falls under Keurig’s 2.0 Brewing System. It can brew cups up to 10 ounces and carafe cups up to 30 ounces. This single serve coffee maker includes 4 K-Cup pods, water filter handle, 2 water filters and a descaling solution.
- The product looks great and the color choices are very attractive.
- You can easily adjust the strength of your coffee.
- It only accepts Keurig K-Cups made for this model.
- The instructions are easy to follow and set-up.
- It is reasonably priced.
- The fluid in the funnel doesn’t fully drain which often leaves residue on the tray dispenser.
If you like exploring more designs, the K200 has a variety of colors to choose from. On the other hand, if you like your coffee smooth or strong, the K250 allows you to easily control the strength of your coffee.
6. Keurig vs. Keurig 2.0
Both coffee makers offer a single serve coffee that uses K-Cup pods from different brands. At the same time, it can brew various cup sizes.
The Keurig coffee system is the original version. This personal coffee maker is suitable for coffee drinkers who are on the go. You can quickly brew a cup even if you’re in a rush.
Keurig 2.0 review
The 2.0 has a more advanced brewing system that allows you to adjust the settings to match the coffee pod. It is also designed with a touch screen control that is easy to use. This coffee maker can also brew 4-cups of carafe.
- This brewing system offers coffee drinkers a convenient way to brew coffee.
- It is more compatible with K-Cups.
- Some models are already discontinued.
- It is equipped with new and improved features to enhance the user’s experience.
- Not all K-Cups are compatible with this coffee maker.
The Keurig coffee maker may be more appropriate for people who want a more versatile brewer. It allows you to use any brand of K-Cups unlike the Keurig 2.0 which can only use the newer versions of K-Cups.
What is The Best Keurig Coffee Maker for Home and Office?
Which Keurig is the Best & Should I Buy for home and office?
If you love drinking coffee every day, you should consider buying a Keurig coffee maker. There are a lot of Keurig models available and comparing them side by side may seem a bit confusing. This is why, we made these comparisons so you can have an idea which model may work best for you.
What is The Best Keurig Coffee Maker for Home (Keurig K475 Single Serve Programmable K- Cup Pod Coffee Maker)
I highly recommend the Keurig K475 for home use. It has all the basic features that you need in a coffee machine plus extra functions that make this coffee maker a must-have. Since the K475 is built with the 2.0 brewing technology, you can choose from hundreds of coffee pods across different brands unlike other systems that have limited compatibility.
This brewer has an energy-saving mode where it will automatically switch off when not in use. At the same time, you can program it to power up whenever you want.
What is The Best Keurig Coffee Maker for Office? (Keurig B155 K-Cup Commercial Brewing System)
For home offices or mid-size organizations, I would suggest you the Keurig B155 Commercial Brewing System. It is more optimized for commercial use and is designed with a bigger water reservoir of 90 ounces. You can brew in 4 sizes ranging from 4 to 10 ounces and select the water temperature you prefer.
It also has an auto on/off program and a detachable drip tray for brewing taller mugs.
Keurig 2.0 Instructions and Maintenance
Knowing how to follow the instructions and how to maintain Keurig coffee makers is important if you want to extend the life of your brewer.
How Does a Keurig Work?
Keurig Coffee Systems are built to produce a single cup brew of your favorite coffee. These personal brewers are available all across US and have dominated the personal brewer market. The K-Cups or coffee pods are specifically designed for this type of brewer.
How to Use a Keurig
Start by pouring water on your water reservoir. Some models have a removable water reservoir while others are built in. Then press your preferred brew size and place your mug at the bottom.
As soon as you press the button water is pumped to the heating system to set the best temperature for your drink. The brewer has a slot to house the K-Cup and once you position the K-Cup in place, the lid should be properly closed.
Afterward, the small pins are released to puncture the cover of the K-Cup and release hot water into it. A separate pin pierces through the bottom layer to allow the brewed coffee to flow into your mug. All you need is to press one button to brew your favorite cup of coffee.
How to Clean a Keurig 2.0?
Just like any other machine, Keurig 2.0 brewers are also susceptible to wear and tear from daily use. Cleaning your brewer regularly can make your machine function a long way. Here’s how.
- White Vinegar
- Clean cloth
- Before you start, make sure you unplug the coffee maker.
- Take out the parts that are removable. Wash them with soap and water then let it dry. This includes the water reservoir, lid, cup stand and K-Cup holder. Use a clean cloth to wipe off the surface of the machine. Make sure you cover all areas, especially around the K-Cup where most residues are left.
- Descale with vinegar. Mix the white vinegar and water then pour it on the water reservoir. Press the button to brew the solution and don’t forget to remove the K-Cup.
Repeat the step until the water reservoir becomes empty. This will remove the buildup in your machine.
Repeat the entire step but use plain water. This will help get rid of the taste of vinegar in the machine. Descaling at least every 3 to 6 months is highly recommended to keep your brewer in good condition.
How to Replace Keurig 2.0 Water Filter
Keurig coffee makers are manufactured with water filter to effectively remove minerals from the water. With regular use, these water filters should also be replaced by filters that are designed specifically for Keurig coffee machines.
The first step is to soak the replacement filter in water for at least 10 minutes or until it becomes saturated. Then open the lid of the coffee maker and lift the water handle assembly from the water reservoir. Set the replacement dial into 2 months ahead.
Remove the old filter from the assembly and replace it with the new filter. Place the handle assembly into the water reservoir and press down the lid until it locks into place.
Can you Put a Milk in the Keurig?
The answer is no. The Keurig coffee machine is specifically built to process water only and not milk or any other kind of liquid. Pouring milk into the reservoir will degrade the material and will be difficult to remove.
If you really want a separate milk in your coffee, you might want to consider the Keurig Rivo that can milk your froth. The most practical solution is to just add milk in your mug after your brew.
Keurig 2.0 Problems
Keurig 2.0 Problems
Most Keurig users often have the same issues whether you’re using an old version or the newer ones. Here are some of the most common problems and how you can solve them.
· The Keurig 2.0 doesn’t brew – Try to wait until the machine starts to brew. The heating process may take about 3 minutes. If it doesn’t start to operate, check if the water reservoir is placed correctly and see if there is water in it.
Inspect if the handle is completely lowered and if the brew setting is turned on. If after 5 minutes and nothing happens, then call the customer service for trouble shooting.
· Keurig 2.0 doesn’t turn on – If the machine doesn’t turn on after you press and hold the power button, check if the machine is properly plugged. You can try to unlplug and plug the brewer in a different socket.
You may reset your home’s circuit breaker if it still doesn’t turn on. If all else fails, call the Keurig customer service.
· Keurig 2.0 displays an error on add water/more water please – Once you see this on your display, open your water reservoir and fill it to its maximum capacity. Check if it is installed properly then press continue.
If you are still getting this message, remove the water reservoir and empty it out. Wash it with a soap and non-abrasive cloth then rinse it thoroughly. Then fill it with water to the maximum level and install it properly.
If the machine is still displaying the same error message, call the customer service for additional help.
Now that you have a comprehensive look on the different Keurig coffee makers available in the market, we hope you now have an idea on which brewer may work best for you. Whether you are looking for a personal single cup brewer for your home or a coffee machine for office use, Keurig has certainly something for you.
Most of us start our day with a fresh cup of coffee. Some people have a hard time concentrating and functioning well without caffeine in their system.
A good cup of brewed coffee requires a high-quality brewing system and a flavorful coffee pod. If you are always brewing a cup in the morning and another one in the evening, a Keurig personal brewer is a must-have for you.
A single cup serving has its advantages over larger brewing systems. This way you won’t have to waste extra or stale coffee. Instead, you can enjoy the aroma and flavor of your freshly brewed coffee.