Kwikset Kevo vs August Smart Lock Comparison and Review
In this comparison and review, we’ll take a look at two options for electronic home security, the Kwikset Kevo vs August Smart Lock.
If you’re like me, you don’t take any shortcuts when it comes to security. Making sure your home is adequately protected is a major part of feeling safe and secure wherever you call home.
Further reading: Schlage vs Kwikset: Which One Should You Choose?
Smart locks offer a high-tech and convenient way to secure your abode, and we’ll compare and review two solid smart lock options below.
Kwikset Kevo vs August Smart Lock: The Basics
This section will serve as a brief overview of the basic features and differences between the two different smart locks. In addition, an accompanying comparison chart will help you compare the locks at a glance to get a quick sense of which option might be right for you.
A more detailed review of each model will follow. Rest assured, you’ll be very familiar with the pros and cons of each model by the end of this article!
The Kwikset Kevo offers a smart lock that allows you to open your door with your smartphone instead of your keys. Smart home integration adds additional functionality.
- Use your smartphone to unlock your door
- Send eKeys to family and friends
- Bluetooth Compatible
- History and notifications of smart lock access
- Smart home compatible.
- Auto unlocking and locking
- Create virtual keys for guests
- Install over existing deadbolt
- Voice control
- Activity Log
Kwikset Kevo vs August Smart Lock: Quickly Compared
Traditional Key Support
Smart Home Compatible
Mobile App Support
Kwikset Kevo and August Smart Lock: The Reviews
We’ve given you a basic overview of the differences between the Kwikset Kevo and August Smart Lock, and you should be able to tell them apart at a glance. In this section we’ll provide more details to help you purchase the smart lock that’s right for your lifestyle.
As we mentioned above, the Kwikset Kevo is a smart lock that allows you to use your smartphone to enter your home. It boasts a wide variety of features, but how useful are those features in practical use?
Let’s look at the Pros and Cons of the Kwikset Kevo.
- The ability to enter your home using your smartphone is a nice touch, and the fact that the deadbolt retains support for a traditional key is a nice plus if you’re without your technology.
- Integration with smart home technology allows you control over your smart lock and the rest of your home, even if you don’t currently have your cell phone.
- Being able to issue eKeys to your loved ones is a great touch, and takes the hassle out of trying to let guests into your home. Instantly authorize or revoke access, and authorized users can use their phones for easy access.
- Reviews claim shoddy reliability, and in some cases even allowing unauthorized users to pass. A smart lock is useless if you can’t trust it to work.
- App control is buggy and unreliable.
- You need to replace your existing deadbolt with this model, leading to more complex installation.
Overall, I can’t really recommend this product. It has a decent amount of features, but the fact that multiple reviews have said that the lock allowed intruders into their home is a deal breaker for me.
There’s a new generation of the Kwikset Kevo with better reviews, so maybe you should opt for that if you’re looking to try out this brand.
Who is This Product For?
The Kwikset Kevo is great for those who want budget smart lock functionality and are comfortable with some basic home improvement techniques.
How Can the Kwikset Kevo Apply to Your Lifestyle?
Allow your family and friends easy access to your home without having to physically transport keys.
Have your Nest Thermostat adjust your home’s temperature to your preferences as soon as you enter the home.
Use the activity log to track entries and exits, keeping tabs on the members of your family.
The August Smart Lock is a newer addition to the market than the Kwikset Kevo, and it’s improved on that model in a lot of ways with few drawbacks.
Let’s look at the good and the bad of the August Smart Lock
- Automatic locking and unlocking. Being able to open your door without fumbling for your smartphone or keys is a great feature.
- Like the Kwikset Kevo, you can issue authorizations to all of your family and friends. No longer will you have to get up from the couch to let your friends in!
- Smart home integration seamlessly connects with many popular smart home technologies.
- Easy installation. You won’t need to be a handyman to get the August Smart Lock looking, making it more accessible to the average consumer.
- The app and integration is largely based around the Apple ecosystem, leaving committed Android users a little disappointed.
- App control is buggy and unreliable.
- It’s more expensive than the alternative, and in some cases much more.
The August Smart Lock is a great offering and I’m confident that most users will be happy with their purchase. Those committed to the android ecosystem might be slightly disappointed with the lack of support for their phones.
Who is this product for?
The August Smart Lock is a solid option for those who aren’t comfortable with complicated installation, want a reliable lock that integrates with their connected home, and don’t mind paying a premium for that combination.
How Can the August Smart Lock Apply to Your Lifestyle?
Open the door with your hands full of groceries without fumbling for your keys.
Use Siri to control your lock with your voice.
Easily secure your home and benefit from added technology without any technical or home improvement know-how.
The Final Verdict
Between the two products, we overwhelmingly side with the August Smart Lock. It costs a little more but adds more features - and most importantly, it’s safe.
No matter how many features a smart lock adds or how great of a value it is, if it’s not 100% reliable and secure, those features are useless. A smart lock should add functionality, not reduce security.
We hope you’ve gotten good information out of this Kwikset Kevo vs August Smart Lock Review. Use these tips to make an educated purchase on Amazon, today!