LIFX vs Hue: Which Smart LED Light bulb Right for You
This post focuses on providing an overview and review of two smart bulbs, the LIFX vs Hue.
In 2017, our lives are more high-tech than ever. The advancement of technology has made lots of tasks easier and more convenient all around, and our homes are no exception.
Further reading: Arlo vs Nest Camera Reviews: Which One Should You Choose?
With the advent of smart homes, a house that adjusts to suit your needs is now a reality. In this review, we’ll focus on one aspect of your smart home: The light bulbs.
LIFX and Hue: The Basics
In this section we’re going to give a basic overview of what each device has to offer, as well as a comparison chart to give you information at a glance. A more in-depth look at the pros and cons of each light bulb will follow.
The LIFX Smart LED Light Bulb provides a wi-fi enabled bulb that integrates with your smart home.
- Warm or Cool Whites
- Amazon Alexa integration
- Nest and SmartThings integration
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- 16 million colors
- Brightness of 75W Bulb
- App and cloud control
The Philips Hue White offers a viable alternative to the LIFX Light Bulb with many of the same features, but some important differences.
- Soft White Lighting
- Support for timers and schedules
- Philips Hue Bridge Hub controls up to 50 lights
- Support for the Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, and Hue Motion Sensor
- Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Assistant integration
- Nest and SmartThings Integration
LIFX and Hue: Quickly Compared
Up to 16 million
Alexa, Apple Home Kit,
Nest and SmartThings
LIFX vs Hue: The Details
Now that we’ve given a basic overview of the LIFX and Hue smart bulbs, let’s take a look at a more detailed look of the features that each bulb has to offer. Which bulb comes out on top? Read on below to find out!
- One of the main draws of the LIFX Smart LED Light Bulb, and the main aspect that sets it apart from the pack is its support for up to 16 million colors. The Hue only works in white, which is fine for the majority of situations but not nearly as fun.
- 75W brightness with only 11W power consumption. The technology packed into the LIFX bulb allows you to take advantage of maximum illumination without running up huge electric bills.
- Alexa integration allows you to control the bulbs with your voice. Being able to adjust the lighting in the room to fit your needs with just a simple voice command offers some great convenience.
- Use the app to program your bulbs to turn on when you get home from work, or dim after a certain time. While the voice controls are nice, part of the appeal of a smart home is setting it up so that it responds to your needs with minimum input.
- No need for a hub. The bulbs have Wi-Fi built in so you can add them to your home and get started without requiring any extra equipment.
- A huge drawback to the LIFX bulbs are that they’re roughly twice as expensive as the Philips Hue. For the same price, the Hue includes two bulbs and offers many of the same features.
- Less support for voice integration. If you use a system other than Amazon’s Alexa, you’re out of luck.
Ultimately, the LIFX offers a lot of good features but it’s pretty expensive. Outfitting an entire room, let alone an entire house, will be extremely spendy.
Who is this product for?
The LIFX Smart LED Light Bulb is great for someone who wants the option to choose from any color under the rainbow to suit their current needs, and doesn’t mind paying a premium for the feature.
How Can This Product Apply to Your Lifestyle?
Brighten up your room with just a few bulbs, and adjust the lighting color to suit your needs.
Program your bulb to react to your schedule, and enjoy added convenience to your smart home.
- These bulbs are a great value. Smart bulbs are always much more expensive than a regular bulb due to the features they offer, but the Philips Hue White is an economical buy.
- Integration with Alexa, Apple Home Kit, and Google Assistant for voice control no matter your smart home controller preference.
- The fully-featured smartphone app provides you very detailed control over the schedule and other settings for your smart bulbs.
- Support for additional accessories adds more capability for features than the LIFX bulb.
- A package comes with two bulbs instead of one.
- No support for additional colors. If that’s an important feature to you, you’re probably going to be better off with the LIFX Smart LED.
- Requires a hub for control, adding another piece of equipment to take up space in your home.
- While it offers more features than the LIFX Smart LED when fully decked out, that requires spending more on additional smart home accessories.
To sum it up, the Philips Hue White is a great value that offers pretty much all of the same features as the LIFX model.
Who is this product for?
The Philips Hue White is the best pick for someone who needs to add a lot of bulbs to their home, due to the relatively inexpensive purchase price. It’s also the clear winner for users that use Google Assistant or Apple Home Kit rather than Amazon Alexa.
How Can This Product Apply To Your Lifestyle?
Fully outfit your home with programmable bulbs without spending all of your hard earned cash. A smart home with only a few bulbs isn’t fully complete.
Seamlessly integrate the Philips Hue White into your home, no matter what smart home ecosystem you’ve committed to.
LIFX vs Hue: Which Bulb Comes Out On Top?
While the LIFX has a lot of cool features, we feel that the Philips Hue White is the clear winner in this LIFX vs Hue comparison and review. With pretty much the same specifications and a 50% lower price, it’s impossible to ignore the advantage that this bulb has over the former.
We hope you’ve found these reviews useful. Use this new information to choose the smart bulb that’s right for you.
Check them out on Amazon, today!