The front door is the gateway to your home. If you’re like me, there may be some anxiety associated with an unknown person ringing the doorbell. Fear for safety, or even just uncomfortable interactions, can make opening the door a guessing game with varying results.
Further reading : Ring vs Ring Pro: Which Rings Better
In this post we’ll take a look at two electronic doorbell options - The Ring vs Skybell - that promise to make answering the door a more confident and safe experience.
Ring Pro vs Skybell: The Basics
In this section I’ll give you a brief overview of each system and how it works, as well as a chart for quick and easy comparisons. A more in-depth review of both products will follow.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
The Ring Doorbell is an electronic doorbell option that promises simple access to video footage of your door.
- The Ring app allows you to instantly view video footage of your visitors as soon as they approach the door
- It Includes support for mobile alerts
- Talk to your visitors through the two-way microphone
- The option for cloud recording that lets you save and view footage at a later point in time.
- Night Vision is included for safety at all times of day.
SkyBell HD Silver WiFi Video Doorbell
The Skybell offers a more economical option for an electronic doorbell that still packs in a decent amount of features.
- See your visitors in HD with up to 5x zoom.
- Receive alerts even if the visitor doesn’t press the doorbell.
- Monitor the door at any point by starting a video stream from the SkyBell app.
- The camera features Full color HD video, even at night.
- Record video to a cloud account automatically for later viewing, even if you’re not available to answer the door.
Ring Vs Skybell: Quickly Compared
1080p HD Video
1080p HD Video
Field of View
Optional for additional charge
Live Video Feed
Camera Zone Support
Ring Pro vs Skybell: In Depth
Now that I’ve talked about the basic features and differences between the Ring Vs Skybell electronic doorbells, We’ll discuss each system with more detail to give you the information you need to make an educated purchase.
The Ring Doorbell is an electronic doorbell option that boasts intuitive use and a full suite of features. Does its actual specifications live up to their claims? Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of this choice.
- There’s a fully featured app that alerts you when someone approaches your door and provides a video and 2-way audio connection that allows you to have a full conversation with your visitor.
- It has a full color 1080p HD camera with a wide view allows you to monitor an impressive amount of space around your front door, both during the day and at night.
- The motion detection allows you to set specific “zones” for the camera to monitor, allowing you to avoid false alarms in areas you don’t care about monitoring.
- An option for cloud recording lets you store video while you’re not around for later viewing at your convenience
- It’s available in multiple finishes, allowing you to match your device to your home’s aesthetic.
- The cloud recording listed above is also a con, because it requires paying to subscribe to the service after the initial 30 day trial.
- It’s more expensive than the Skybell.
Is the Ring Pro Video Doorbell Right for You?
The Ring Doorbell is a great option in pretty much every situation. The only time I’d caution against it, is if you’re away from home often and want free access to video. In my opinion, however, the benefit of an electronic doorbell is being able to see and respond to people while you’re home. This makes the Ring Pro a solid pick.
How can the Ring Pro Video Doorbell Apply to Your Lifestyle?
One of the best uses I can think of using the Ring Pro’s features is the ability to use 2-way audio.
Let a visitor know that you’re on the way to open the door or if you’re indisposed. Tell the mail carrier to leave the package on the porch. The ability to communicate with people at your door without actually being there seems pretty applicable to most situations.
For slightly more money you get a more fully featured doorbell with few (and situational) drawbacks. Simple enough!
The SkyBell HD Silver WiFi Video Doorbell promises to deliver pretty much all of the features of the Ring Pro with a cheaper price tag. Does Skybell’s offering of features actually compete with the more expensive Ring Pro? Below is our analysis of the benefits and drawbacks of the device.
- A SkyBell app allows you to view footage from your front door whenever you please.
- A Full HD camera with 1080p resolution and night vision.
- Record content to the cloud for no extra charge, allowing you to view previous footage even when you’re not available at the time to see who’s knocking.
- The cheaper of the two options, costing less than the Ring Pro.
- It’s less attractive than the Ring Pro, looking more like a piece of electronics than an actual doorbell.
- There’s no two-way audio, meaning you can’t speak to people on your doorstep.
- The app, while getting the job done, is a less full-featured than the Ring Pro offering.
- Customers online have complained in several occasions of poor customer support. If you’re not able to get support to fix the errors with these features, they might as well not be included.
Is the SkyBell HD Silver WiFi Video Doorbell Right for You?
The SkyBell is ideal for users who value the ability to look back on previous footage without paying a monthly fee. If you’re away from home often and want to monitor the activity around your front door, this may be the better buy despite our criticisms.
How can the SkyBell HD Silver WiFi Video Doorbell Apply to Your Lifestyle?
As mentioned above, the Skybell has two main advantages over the Ring Pro. It’s less expensive, and it allows you to access previous video for no extra cost.
If you’re on vacation and want to make sure no one’s tried to access your home, or if you want to make sure while away that your package was delivered, the SkyBell HD is a great option.
A lot of us have also been in situations where money is tight. While I’ve spent most of the article asserting that the Ring Pro is better, the SkyBell is a great second choice if you really can’t spend the extra.
If a budget buy is your priority, the Skybell may be a viable option. If you’re willing to spend a little extra, however, the Ring Pro is a pretty decent upgrade.
The Final Verdict: The Winner of Ring Vs Skybell
Based on the many features and superior aesthetics it’s clear that in the comparison concerning Ring vs Skybell, the Ring Pro comes out on top. The 2-way audio is a really useful feature, and that combined with more camera options and a better looking device makes this device the better buy for most consumers. Check out both products on Amazon, today!