Tiger vs Zojirushi Rice Cooker: Which is the Better Investment?
Millions of people around the world eat rice everyday. Those who own rice cookers have marveled about how convenient this piece of appliance is. The main attraction of a rice cooker is, you add rice and water, set the cooker, forget it and in a few minutes you have perfectly cooked rice.
Electric rice cookers have been around for years. Basic models of rice cookers would include a heating element, an inner bowl, cover with vent and cook and keep warm functions.
Further reading: A Comprehensive Comparison Guide Between Deep Fryers and Air Fryers
Today, this amazing appliance is not used just to cook rice. There now are a lot of models that are slow cookers and pressure cookers, too. Some can even bake.
If you are thinking of buying a rice cooker, Tiger vs Zojirushi rice cooker are two of the leading brands most consumers prefer. Both rice cooker models have multiple settings that can allow you to cook various types of rice. They, too have models that can cook stews, soups, steam fish and even bake.
Both Tiger vs Zojirushi rice cooker are Japanese brands that have been making rice cookers since the early 1900s. Why then do most consumers prefer Tiger vs Zojirushi? Which gives more value for money?
Tiger vs Zojirushi rice cooker
This Tiger rice cooker can do more than just cook rice. It can steam vegetables, bake bread and do slow cooking of stews. Of course, it can cook perfect rice! It is easy to handle and clean.
This Tiger rice cooker includes an inner pot with handle. It is equipped with 2 pre-set cooking timers – cook and keep warm.
This rice cooker is also capable of synchronized or “tacook” cooking wherein you can simultaneously cook two dishes at the same time. This is possible through induction heat. The Tacook plate will allow you to cook rice while simultaneously steaming vegetable, meat fish or poultry. The steam vent prevents flavors from mixing with rice.
The inner pot is made of 5 layers of metal coated with 3 layers of ceramic for multi-layer cooking. These materials together with the heating element ensure even cooked rice at all times. The inner pot comes with a handle. You can follow the manual here.
This Zojirushi model has gained a good number of rave reviews from its current users. It is equipped with the Neuro Fuzzy logic technology (Zojirushi’s trademark).
This rice cooker model is well-known for the Neuro Fuzzy logic technology wherein the built-in microcomputer chips (Micom) adjusts cooking times and temperature to ensure rice is perfectly cooked may it be white rice, brown rice, sweet rice or porridge. A programmable beep audio tells you when rice is done.
It comes with the standard automatic keep warm feature. Additionally it has an extended keep warm function and a re-heat cycle to keep rice warm for long periods of time. It also is equipped with a two-setting delay timer. The LCD timer and clock makes maneuvering this rice cooker a breeze.
The inner lid can be detached for easy cleaning. This rice cooker comes with a two measuring cups (for regular and rinse-free rice) and a spatula holder with spatula and recipe book. Check out the user guide here.
Tiger vs Zojirushi Rice Cooker: Quickly Compared
5.5 cups, uncooked
5.5 cups, uncooked
10.2” W x 8.4” H x 13.9”
10 1/8” W x 8 ½” H x 13” D
2 preset timers
2 preset timers
2 time delay timers
What’s in the Box
+ 1 x Tiger Corporation JKT-S10U Rice Cooker
+ 5 metal layers and 3 ceramic coated inner pot
+ Measuring Cup
+ Recipe Book
1 x Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 rice cooker
Black and thick spherical pan
Measuring cup, 2
1 year, Limited
1 year, Limited
This Tiger model has a 5.5 cup uncooked rice capacity. This is a high end rice cooker as compared to the basic Tiger models because it is capable of slow cooking, bread making and “tacook” or synchronized cooking and of course, rice cooking. This is an appliance that can multi-task so you save on kitchen counter space.
- It is a rice cooker, slow cooker, bread maker.
- Induction Heating Technology
- Capable of “tacook” or synchronized cooking
- Comes with an LCD control panel for easy to read menu selections and cooking countdown timer.
- “Tacook” cooking plate makes sure flavors do not mix with rice while doing synchro cooking.
- Non-stick inner pot does not make rice stick on the pan.
- Spherical and multi-layer inner pot cooks even and flavorful rice.
- Keep warm function keeps rice warm without burning or drying for 24 hours.
- 2 pre-set timers can schedule cooking times
- Equipped with 11 settings (Plaino, Ultra (for maximum flavor), Synchr, cooking, Quick, Porridge, Oatmeal, Brown, Jasmine, Mixed, Bread making, Slow Cooking.
- Comes with detachable inner pot that is ceramic coated for easy cleaning.
- Has a detachable steam vent for easy cleaning.
- Equipped with 2 pre-set cooking timers
- Built of 5 metal layers and 3 ceramic coatings for even cooking.
- Capable of synchronized cooking.
- Inner pot has measurement guides for précised rice cooking.
- Japanese translations of English words in the controls can be confusing.
- Outer pot is prone to scratches.
- Uncooked rice needs to be measured with its own measuring cup.
This rice cooker makes perfect rice through its microcomputer controlled system and induction heating. It can also slow cook, bake and make bread. If you are in a market for an all-in-one rice cooker, this is an ideal choice.
This Zojirushi model comes with auto keep-warn and extended keep-warm functions as well as a reheat cycle. It also has a delay timer with two different settings to program cooking schedules. This rice cooker is capable of making not just perfect plain rice but also an equally perfect sushi rice.
- Auto-keep warm, extended keep-warm and re-heat cycle ensures perfect rice at all times.
- Optimum and even rice cooking is ensured by the spherical heating due to spherical inner pot.
- Menu settings for cooking soft rice (regular) and hard rice (sushi).
- Neuro Fuzzy Technology adjusts cooking time based on quantity of rice to ensure even and perfectly cooked rice.
- 5 ½ uncooked rice capacity
- Non-stick inner cooking pot so rice does not stick on pan making it easy to clean.
- Spherical heating ensures even rice cooking
- Keep warm setting keeps rice warm until ready to be eaten.
- Left-over rice is perfectly re-heated with the re-heat cycle.
- Easy to read LCD display
- Can be used for steaming vegetables
- Equipped with Fuzzy logic technology
- Too bulky so it uses up too much counter space.
- Takes some time to warm up.
- Warranty is for service only and does not cover replacement of parts.
- Retractable cord for easy cleaning.
- A bit too pricey
- Limited menu settings
This is a great rice cooker made by a respected brand from Japan. It is made of durable material and makes perfect regular rice and sushi rice. Its keep-warm, extended keep warm and re-heat cycles makes cooking perfect rice an easy task.
Investing in a good rice cooker will ensure that you will have perfectly cooked rice at all times. Both Tiger and Zojirushi are well respected Japenese brands that have been making top quality rice cookers for many long years.
Choosing between tiger vs zojirushi is no simple task. In terms of technology used in these particular models, Zojirushi has a slight edge over Tiger. I would choose the Tiger JKT-S10U-K IH Rice Cooker.
While there is a huge price difference, this Tiger rice cooker is worth the investment. It is of course, if you prefer a multi-tasking rice cooker. If you simply like to cook perfect rice, you will be perfectly fine with the Zojirushi rice cooker.