It’s said that home is where the heart is, but the reality of daily life means that the majority of us spend a lot of time away from our abode. Whether that’s for work or other engagements, there’s long periods where we aren’t available to check on our house. A good home security system is often a solid buy that can solve that problem, and this comparison will take a look at Arlo vs Canary security systems and try to give you a sense of which product is right for you.
Arlo vs Canary: The Basics
In this section I’ll give you a brief overview of each system and how it works, as well as a chart for quick and easy comparisons. A more in-depth review of both products will follow.
Arlo Pro Security System with Siren
This Arlo Security system consists of a surveillance system with a feature rich camera.
- 100% wire free. Easily place your Arlo camera without the hassle of organizing unsightly cords.
- The Arlo camera is weatherproof, making it an option for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Easily-swappable, rechargeable battery. Swap between batteries in just seconds to keep the system online close to 100% of the time.
- 2-Way Audio. The camera allows you to both listen and talk through its built in microphone.
- 7 days of cloud recording. Store up to 7 days of footage in the cloud for free.
- 100 decibel siren that can be activated manually or via motion or audio activity.
Canary All-in-One Home Security Device
The Canary Security Device features a system largely controllable through smartphone apps.
- Wire and hub free for simple setup and activation.
- See and hear your home through the high-quality camera.
- Receive instant video alerts on your smartphone for any unusual activity.
- Privacy mode for situations where you don’t want audio or video recorded.
- HomeHealth technology that monitors your home’s environmental statistics.
- One-Touch Access allows you to quickly alert authorities in the case of an emergency.
Arlo vs Canary: Quickly Compared
7 day free
12 hours free, optional membership plans
Smart Phone Features
Arlo vs Canary Reviews: In Depth
Now that I’ve talked about the basic features and differences between the Arlo vs Canary cam home security systems, We’ll discuss each security system with more detail to give you the information you need to make an educated purchase.
The Arlo Pro Security System boasts an easy setup with a low-maintenance, feature rich camera system that can keep your home safe and secure. Does it live up to the hype? Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of the Arlo system.
- As mentioned above, this system is 100% wire free. Put it anywhere you want regardless of proximity to a plug and it will record HD video using an internal battery.
- The Arlo system is weatherproof, allowing you to use it either indoors or outdoors. The Canary system requires a plug and is only usable inside.
- Internal battery that lasts for several months on a single charge. When a recharge is needed, it only takes a few hours to go from completely drained to 100%
- 2-way audio allows you to talk through the microphone
- 7 days of cloud storage for free. Being able to view your recorded footage for up to a week makes it a great option if you’re frequently away from home for long periods of time.
- 100 db siren will likely easily alert you to danger and scare away intruders.
- There’s no built-in way to contact authorities, requiring users to take an extra step in situations where time may be of the essence.
- The smartphone features are limited. You can view recorded video on your phone but it’s not very easily controlled using your mobile device.
- A more expensive option than alternatives like Canary’s system
The Bottom Line
The Arlo Security System is a relatively expensive option that offers hands-off and pretty convenient monitoring of both the inside and outside of your home.
Is the Arlo Security System right for you?
If you’re away from home a decent amount and want a reliable and high-quality home security system, the Arlo is a good choice. The ease of use is a big benefit and makes this selection a no-brainer for those who can do without the additional features of fancy mobile apps.
How can the Arlo Security System apply to your lifestyle?
The internal battery feature is especially nice because it doesn’t have the issue of shutting off if an intruder were to try to disable it.
The two-way audio system makes it easy to either communicate with family and friends or let intruders know that you see them.
Arlo’s weatherproofing allows you to use the system to secure the exterior of your home.
How to Set Up the Netgear Arlo Pro Camera System: click here
Canary’s All-in-One Home Security Device offers more high-tech options with some interesting features, with a trade-off in reliability. Let’s take a look at the detailed features of this system.
- The only cord you have to worry about is the one to plug it in.
- A 1080p camera allows you to easily see and hear what’s going on in your home. The camera features a 147 degree wide-angle lens, automatic night vision, and high-quality audio.
- The HomeHealth Technology feature is a unique addition that allows you to monitor more than just physical and audio activity. Track humidity, air quality, and temperature through your security camera.
- Instant video alerts when there’s activity on the armed camera.
- Easy access to emergency services if there’s ever an issue.
- Only a few hours of stored video by default compared to 7 days with the Arlo system.
- A required cord instead of an internal battery means that intruders could unplug your system
- Only usable indoors.
The Bottom Line
The Canary All-in-One Home Security Device offers a lot of quality of life features and smartphone integration, but it suffers in reliability and construction when compared to the Arlo option.
Is the Arlo Security System right for you?
The Canary system is a good buy if you’re looking for more quality of life features and don’t need maximum reliability 100% of the time or outdoor coverage.
How can the Canary Security Device apply to your lifestyle?
A lot of mobile integration makes it perfect for the high-tech household.
Easy access to emergency services means that help is just one button away should you find yourself in a dangerous situation.
Make sure the environment is healthy and safe using the HomeHealth feature, even if you’re away from home. This is a nice feature for monitoring pets.
FAQ and Additional Tips
- Take advantage of the one year limited warranty for either product if you have issues with either of the speakers.
- Check out Amazon for great price on both of these speakers.
The Final Verdict : The Winner of the Arlo vs Canary
Each of the two home security systems offers different benefits and has separate drawbacks, but I feel that the Arlo Pro Security System With Siren is the best choice for most people’s needs.
The ability to use the camera both indoors and outdoors offers a decent amount of flexibility, and the internal battery with several months of life means you can place it wherever necessary to keep your home safe. I hope you’ve gotten some good information out of this Arlo vs Canary comparison and review. Check it out on Amazon, now!