It is great to have access to fresh tasting and grilled food. Nevertheless, you must always consider working with a clean grate. Removing food residue every cooking session is desired to prevent build up.
There are many types of grill grates. The common types are porcelain, stainless steel and cast iron. Each type has a unique cleaning method fit for its properties. In this article, we shall be looking into the best way in cleaning barbeque grills of different types.
Porcelain Type Grates
This type of grill grates are rust-resistant. It also holds heat very well which makes robust despite constant use. With this, it is important to take care of it by cleaning them well. Here is a quick guide when cleaning your porcelain grates:
- Read the user manual – Grates with this type of coating tend to be more fragile. Thus, it is easier to get damaged from the scraping and scrubbing process. You may take off from the instructions from the manufacturer’s user manual.
- Brush the grill with a nylon brush – A nylon brush aids in gentle scraping. You must avoid using brass brushes that can potentially damage the grate’s coating.
When you grill is still on a hot temperature, scrub the area closest to you and slowly move in an upward direction. It is bets to move in a single direction as it minimizes the chances of damaging the coating.
- Clean the bottom part – As soon as your grill cools, flip it over and scrape the excess gunk and food. Still with a diagonal motion, scrub the grate until it is completely clean.
It is recommended to avoid encountering scrapes or chips as it will expose the part which is made from metal. As the water seeps in the metal portion, it may cause rust.
Stainless Steel Type Grates
Grates made from stainless steel have a great tolerance towards extreme heat. Furthermore they are known to be rush resistant. With this, this grate type just needs a quick scrub or brush to maintain them. Provided below are the steps on how to clean stainless steel grates.
- Use a brush for stainless steel – This type of brush are generally soft to aid in protecting the grate’s surface. When choosing a brush, you may go with straight brushes or roll brushes. These can clean stainless steel grates effectively. Nevertheless, roll brushes can easily go through the grates’ sides.
- Heat your grill – It is essential to keep your grill hot. This will allow the leftover grease to soften which makes it better to clean.
- Scrub the grill’s grate – With an upward and downward motion, scrub the grates repeatedly per bar. When you notice that the bar turns grease free and with no food particles left, you can move on to the next bar.
- Use vegetable oil – With a clean towel, dip it on an oil container to get at least 5ml of vegetable oil. Wipe the bars with the oil after scrubbing it. This will prevent the grates from rusting.
Stainless Steel grates can easily be cleaned by heating them off first. The heat shall burn the excess food residue allowing them to be easily brushed off afterwards.
Cast Iron Type Grates
This type of grates is known to be the most durable one. It can tolerate very high temperatures. You can even utilize the cooking surface it creates. Nevertheless, it is very prone to acquiring rush as it is made from iron. You can follow the provided steps when cleaning cast iron type grates
- Soak in a solution made from vinegar – Soak the grates in a mixture of vinegar and baking. It is ideal to soak them overnight to maximize effectiveness.
- Rinse and scrub the grates – Remove the grates from the solution and rinse them well. Using a brush made from nylon, gently scrub the remaining gunk in diagonal strokes. You can use brushes for stainless steel. It is robust enough to handle it.
- Dry your grates well – Give your grates a final rinse and pat it dry. You may use a towel made from microfiber. Place them back in the grill
When you are cleaning grates made from cast iron, it is recommended to burn off food residue on the surface of the grates. After you let it cool you can scrub them off. Make sure to dry them well to prevent rusting.
Reminders When Cleaning Grill Grates
It is important to note the type of grill grates you are utilizing to determine the best way to clean them. You must remember that porcelain grates are sensitive to scrubbing and needs gentle cleaning. On the other hand, stainless steel and cast iron grates can withstand extreme deep cleaning. Nevertheless, it is recommended to dry them well to prevent rust from occurring.
Cleaning grill grates may be time consuming and difficult. Not only do you need to conduct routine cleanings after use, you must also conduct deep cleaning at least once every year. This helps eliminate the risk of cultivating harmful bacteria. Moreover, it reduces the hazard of encountering fire.
What is the easiest way to clean grill grates?
How to Clean Grill Grates SAFELY Without a Grill Brush
How do I get my grill grates shiny again?
Weber Grills – Cleaning Your Stainless Steel Grates
What household items can you use to clean a grill?
What household items can you use to clean a grill?
- Baking soda and water.
- Vinegar and water.
- Dish soap and water.
- Dish soap and baking soda.
Can you use Easy Off on grill grates?
Within the Easy-Off family, you have a few options — and when I recently ordered a can of Easy-Off Oven & Grill Cleaner by accident, a lightbulb went off in my head. “I can use this stuff to clean my grill grates!” See, we grill regularly at my house.
Does vinegar clean grill grates?
Method #4: No Scrub Baking Soda and Vinegar Grate Cleaning
If you have an extremely dirty grill with stubborn, caked-on grease or grime that doesn’t loosen right away soaking the grimy grates overnight in baking soda and white vinegar can save the labor of scrubbing.
How do I clean my grill with baking soda?
Clean a bbq grill with baking soda
Sprinkle liberally all over a damp barbecue grate and let sit for 10 minutes. Then activate the soda with warm water and a scourer sponge. Rinse and you should be ready to go.
Should I wash my grill grates?
Clean with Hot, Soapy Water
In addition to using the burnoff method, we recommend scrubbing your grill grates down with hot, soapy water every month. This way, you can ensure that there isn’t any lingering buildup on your grates.
What is the best way to clean cast iron grill grates?
How to Remove Rust From Cast Iron Grates: (A 5-Step Guide)
- Wash the grates in warm, soapy water.
- Step 1: Wash the grates in warm, soapy water.
- Step 2: Soak the grates in a vinegar and baking soda solution.
- Step 3: Use an oven cleaner.
- Step 4: Put it into an oven to dry.
- Step 5: Re-seasoning the grates.
Can I use oven cleaner on my grill?
You can definitely use oven cleaner to clear your grill grates of all that grimy food residue that has accrued, but if you do use a standard oven cleaner, SF Gate cautions not to get any of this chemical spray on the outside of your grill. If you do, it could lead to some unsightly damage to the enamel.
Can you power wash grill grates?
How To Pressure Wash Your Grill – Clean Grill Grates Burners Cover
How do I clean a gas grill with baking soda and vinegar?
Just follow these simple steps:
- Take out the grills and put them in a large plastic bag.
- Mix one cup of vinegar and half a cup of baking soda in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture on the grills inside the plastic bag and leave it overnight.
- Rinse the grills first thing in the morning to get rid of the loosened grease.
How do you clean and season cast iron grill grates?
Use your grill brush to scrub the char off the grates. Wipe the grates with a clean towel. Coat the grates in vegetable oil or another suitable oil, and wipe away any excess oil with paper towels. Set the grill to medium, and leave it on for 90 minutes to season the cast iron.
How do I clean my Weber grill grates?
Simply preheat the grill on high for 15 minutes, with the lid closed, and then brush the grates clean with a Weber Stainless Steel Grill Brush. For a more thorough cleaning, use our the grate cleaner and scrubber pads found in our Weber Maintenance Kits, after the grill has completely cooled.
Is white vinegar a degreaser?
Vinegar is an effective sanitizer; liquid soap is a great stain remover and degreaser; baking soda makes a gentle abrasive and lightener for tough stains; and essential oils add a clean scent — mix them together and they make the perfect degreaser for your kitchen (and other places, too!).
Does an onion really clean a grill?
Any detritus should peel right off as you go. But get this: wiping down your clean rack with an onion before you even slap your meat and veggies down can make cleanup a breeze. That’s because the onion’s natural oils will form a protective coating on the metal, and maybe even add a little flavor to your meal.
What do you spray grill grates with?
Most grill manufacturers recommend canola or peanut oil because they have a smoke point over 450° F. You can also use vegetable oil, sunflower oil or avocado oil. The high smoke points of these oils ensure that the oil won’t burn; which can ruin the seasoning process as well as the taste of your food.
Can you clean grill grates with soap and water?
Fill a large bucket – one big enough to fit the grates – with hot water and a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap per gallon of water. Go with it, if they choose Dawn to clean birds after oil spills, it must be the best for ‘gently’ removing oil.
Can you use oven cleaner on cast iron grill grates?
Some people swear by Easy Off, a popular oven cleaner which can be used successfully to clean tough grime off of your cast iron stove grates, when used according to the directions on the package.
How do you clean a greasy Weber BBQ?
Easy Maintenance for your Weber® Q™
How do you get baked on grease off a BBQ?
To get rid of the grease from your plates, turn the BBQ to a high temperature and let it warm up. Scrape off the surfaces with a spatula or a scraper until the residue is removed. Turn off the BBQ and sprinkle salt on top of the surface. Let it absorb the excess grease.
How do you clean a dirty grill?
How To Clean A Dirty BBQ Grill
- Wait until the grate cools completely.
- Spray it with oven cleaner and put it in a garbage bag to sit overnight.
- The next day, use the scraper and a garden hose to give the grate a good scrub. The gunk should come right off.
- Dry the grate thoroughly to prevent rust.
How do you clean grill grates with lemons?
How To Naturally SUPER CLEAN your BBQ Grill -Jonny DIY
Can you use Coke to clean a grill?
Coca-cola is an excellent rust remover because it has citric acid that breaks down the rust and makes the object easier to clean. Dip the rusted object in coca-cola and let it soak for a day. Then rinse it thoroughly with water to remove the stickiness.
How do you clean grill grates with Coke?
The second method that lots of people swear by is soaking your grill grates in Coca-Cola. So we grabbed a small plastic tub, put the grate in and poured in the Coke until the grate was entirely covered. After letting it sit for another 20 minutes, we pulled the grate out and used a grill brush.
Can I put grill grates in the dishwasher?
Items such as your cooking grates, Flavorizer® bars and Gourment BBQ System inserts should never be washed in the dishwasher as the hot steam could cause damage and ruin these items. With the exception of the pizza stone, always hand wash these items non-citrus based soap and warm water.
How do you clean grill briquettes?
Simply remove your briquettes and place them into a bucket of hot, soapy water. Allow the briquettes to soak for an adequate amount of time to loosen up any buildup. Next, use a soft pad or brush to remove any stubborn debris left behind. Rinse the briquettes one more before returning them to the grill.
How often should you clean grill grates?
How to Regularly Clean Your Grill. During the height of grilling season, it’s important to clean your grill after every use. That means cleaning food particles off the grates as well as cleaning the grill brush or scraper itself.
How do you make cast iron grates look new?
How to clean cast iron stove grates with baking soda
- First, mix three parts baking soda to one part water to create a thick paste.
- Take a soft, bristled brush or cloth to coat the cast iron grates with the paste, making sure to get into all the crevices and awkward spots.
Can you clean cast iron with vinegar?
Mix basic white vinegar with water in equal parts and submerge your pan in it. Use a bucket or plug the sink for really big pans; the entire skillet should be covered with the vinegar mixture. You can soak it for up to eight hours, but Whitehead suggests checking it early and often. It might be done in just one.
Can I use steel wool on cast iron grill grates?
When cleaning the grates of a cast iron pan, it’s important to deter from using abrasive cleaning brushes or sponges. Steel wool is the best scrubber for this dish, but several non-abrasive sponges work just as well.
How do you clean aluminum foil on a grill?
- Turn on your grill and place a sheet of aluminum foil directly over the grates.
- Close the grill lid.
- Let the grill run for a few minutes until the grates get hot and the residue starts to loosen up.
- Remove the foil sheets, then scrub the grates with a crumpled ball of foil.
Can you use Easy Off oven cleaner on an outdoor grill?
You can also spray the interior of the grill with the cleaner, but do not get oven cleaner on the exterior of the grill because it can damage the enamel finish.
How do you get rust off grill grates?
Vinegar and Salt Rust Remover
Combine 2 parts vinegar to 1-part salt into a spray bottle. Thoroughly cover the grates in the vinegar solution and store in an old plastic bag overnight. Once the grill grates have soaked overnight, wipe the grates with an old cloth to remove all the rust residue.
Can I use engine degreaser on my grill?
You can spray the outside of your grill with a kitchen degreaser and wipe it with an old rag after you have done this. Make sure you use hot water and soap to clean tough stains. Once it has sat for 30 minutes or more, rinse, dry, and reassemble it.
Can you hose down a BBQ Grill?
Remove the drip pan and dump loose debris into a trash can. Place the pan in the bucket of soapy water. Remove the grill grates and metal plates from the bucket. Scrub them with the grill brush and spray them down with a garden hose.
How do you clean the inside of a Weber gas grill?
How To Clean Your Gas Grill | Weber Grills
Can I use olive oil to season my grill?
Seasoning a New Grill
still cold, coat all cooking surfaces (including emitters) with a cooking oil that stays safe at high heat. High heat cooking oils include peanut oil, canola oil and grapeseed oil, but olive oil should not be used.
Can you use olive oil to season a cast iron grill?
Do not use olive oil or butter to season your cast-iron pan — they’re great to cook with, just not for initial seasoning. Place the pan upside down on the top rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour.
What oils are best for seasoning cast iron?
The best oil for seasoning cast iron is grapeseed oil because of its high smoke point and versatility. Similar options include peanut oil and vegetable oil. The oil you choose also depends on the heat you intend on using as well as which flavors you prefer.
Can you soak Weber grill grates?
You can soak the grates in hot water to remove stubborn particles and then use a mild dishwashing liquid and nylon/soft abrasive pads or brushes. Make sure you use a soft cloth or paper towel to thoroughly dry the grates when you’re done.
How do I clean a grease grill tray?
BBQ/Grill Tips: Should I Clean or Replace My Grease Tray