The most crucial step in candle making is melting wax. You need to melt wax so it can be molded to any shape you desire. When in a solid state, it can be difficult to mold wax. That said you will need the best double boiler for candle making.
There are a lot of known ways to melt wax. Some methods however tend to make wax loose some of its important qualities. A double boiler on a stove top is the best and safest kitchen tool to use in melting wax.
See also : Best Saucepan For Making Fudge - Reviews 2018
A double boiler is a cookware consisting of two saucepans. It comes with one saucepan fitted atop the other. The bottom saucepan which is the larger one is half filled with boiling or simmering water. The top saucepan is where the material for melting is placed.
Wax should never be melted over direct heat. Boiling water on the bottom saucepan spreads heat to the top saucepan evenly and quickly melting the wax within a few minutes without burning it.
When melting wax you can make your own double boiler by placing solid wax on a pouring pot or pitcher. You then place the pouring pot or pitcher inside a sauce pot with boiling or simmering water.
Top 4 Best Double Boiler for Candle Making - Rated Double Boilers Reviews
How to Melt Waxin a Double Boiler
Using adouble boiler is an economical, efficient and safe way to melt wax needed for candle making.
- Half fill the bottom saucepan with water. Place on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Place waxinto the top saucepan, pouring pot or pitcher.
- Fit the top saucepanpouring pot or pitcher into the bottom saucepan.
- Allow wax to melt over medium-low heat stirring continuously.
- Add water to the bottom saucepan as the need arises to avoid the complete evaporation of water.
- Monitor wax temperature with a thermometer.
- Thoroughly mixmelted wax.
Never leave the double boiler unattended when melting wax. A saucepan used to melt wax should never be used for cooking food. It is also a must to have a fire extinguisher within reach when melting wax.
Some Double Boiler for Candle Making Tips
Here are a few tips to ensure you get the best results when melting wax in a double boiler.
- Melting wax over simmering water rather than boiling water will achieve better results.
- Always keep a close watch at your double boiler. Wax produces vapor as its gets to flash point and can become flammable. Be on the safe side and never leave your double boiler unattended while in use.
- Always have a fire extinguisher within reach. Candle making fire should be put off the same way as grease fire – never attempt to put out the flames with water.
- Always check on the temperature of your melted wax before adding any dyes and fragrances.
Melting waxand candle making in general is a fun activity. Getting the wax into liquid form is critical so it is in the right consistency for easy pouring into molds.
The Top Grade Candle Making Pitcher - Double Boiler Pot with its durable aluminum construction, sturdy Bakelite stay cool handle and spout for mess-free pouring of wax is the best double boiler for candle making in this batch. Adding to its great value is its being shallow and wide making it easy to clean.