Millions of people get affected by toenail fungus. This condition is also referred to as onychomycosis which is caused by poor feet hygiene, constant exposure to moisture, unbalanced ph levels, sweat that gets trapped in and certain sickness such as diabetes. It is one of the most common ailments that often get neglected and treated.
A toenail fungus appears thick, yellowish, and rough on the edges. It looks unsightly, frustrating, and disgusting. A fungus can latch itself into the cracks of your toenails where it can grow and eat up the nutrients in your toenails.
If untreated, the condition may become painful. The surrounding area of the infected nail can swell and give off a foul odor.
However, there are ways on how to get rid of toenail fungus Dr Oz suggests. In this tutorial, I’ll share with you his tips on prevention and cure the natural way.
First, let’s talk about the symptoms of having a toenail fungus.
- Change in color. Once a fungal infection starts to grow in your toenails, you’ll notice a change in the appearance and color of your nails. Your toenails will usually turn into a shade of yellow, green, brown or dark shade.
- Foul smell. The foul smell is caused by the fungi that grow in your toenails. The deposits collected underneath your nails give off a nasty smell.
- Thick toenails. Your toenails will start to become thick and flaky. For some people, it can cause discomfort especially once they wear shoes. It adds pressure to their toes which make it a bit difficult for them to stand or walk.
- Nail ulcers. A fungus can also develop into nail ulcers. If your fungus is caused by other types of sickness such as diabetes, it can be difficult to cure.
- Spread of infection. Since a fungus is an infection, it can spread to other parts of your toenails or in some cases, it can transfer to other people too. Avoid sharing common supplies with other people such as emery boards because it can carry and transfer the fungi from one toenail to another.
As soon as you notice and feel any of these symptoms, seek treatment immediately to avoid any complications. Curing your infection prevents the spread of your condition.
What You’ll Need:
- Thyme oil
- Oral antifungal medication
How to Cure Toenail Fungus:
- Mix two parts of vinegar and four parts of water. You should always double the amount of water versus the vinegar. Vinegar is an effective anti-bacterial solution that is proven to kill the growth of fungi.
- Soak your feet in the vinegar and water solution. Let your feet sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Apply thyme oil. Another option is to use thyme oil as a solution. Pour warm water into a basin. Add a few drops of thyme oil to the water. Soak your feet in the solution.
- Wash your feet. Do this as often as needed.
- Oral antifungal. Drink antifungal medications to cure the infection.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus:
- Wear flat shoes. Instead of wearing high heels, replace it with flat shoes. This prevents your toenails from crushing and rubbing against the front of your shoes and reduces the pressure on your toenails.
- Cut your nails. Practice proper grooming and hygiene. Cut your nails short and straight. This prevents fungus from growing and breeding on your toenails.
- Use synthetic socks. Instead of using cotton socks, switch it to synthetic ones. This keeps moisture away from your toes unlike cotton socks that lock in water and moisture on your feet.
Treating your Toenails Right
Remember, a toenail infection will not cure itself. Understanding the root of the problem and addressing it will help you cure your condition effectively. The best way to cure your fungal infection is to prevent it from occurring. Just follow the preventive tips as suggested by Dr. Oz.
In case you already carry the symptoms, there are different ways to treat your condition. One of the simplest, easiest, and most convenient method is using the water and vinegar solution from Dr. Oz. This is very practical and cost effective too.
We hope you found this tutorial informative. Please share this article with your friends and leave us a message or comment if you have any feedback. We’ll be happy to respond to you.