BBQ competition is one of the fastest growing and sport in the US. Competitive barbecue seems to be the ultimate goal for those who have seriously been into barbecuing. These people want to gain recognition for their craft. If you are one of them, you will need to gear up with the best knives for BBQ competition.
There are over 500 barbecue cook-offs and several more on TV in the US. Barbecue competitions are often friendly rivalries among different styles of barbecues from the best of the best. The different barbecue styles in the Midwestern and Southern United States are as varied as there are linguistic dialects.
You also like these:
- The Best Grill Mat for Concrete Patio – BBQ Grill Mats Reviews 2018
- The Best Grill Mat for Wood Deck – Under Grill Pad Reviews 2018
- Green Mountain Grills vs Traeger Grill: Which is the Better Smoker?
During these cook-offs, the pit masters are ready for battle with their aprons and steel smokers. These iron chefs are warriors also armed with knives sharp enough and ready for any task. There is no place for dull knives in cook-offs as they may affect the taste of the barbecue and the spirit of the warrior.
The Right Knife for BQQ Competition
When in a competition you will always need dependable knives. There is a big difference between a chef cooking in a professional kitchen and a traveling pit master preparing barbecue in a tent at the back of a state fair. You should have knives that multitask rather than having a specific knife for a specific purpose.
- Granton-edged Knife. This knife cleanly (the cleanest possible) cuts through your brisket with a single motion. It also works well for dividing ribs and slicing the pork’s money muscles. The main purpose of this knife though is to perfectly slice wide portions of meat. It comes in 10-inch, 12-inch, and 14-inch models.
- Slicing Knife. This comes with a long blade with a slightly curved tip. Some may have a rounded end. Some slicing knives come with blades with hollows where air, juices, and fats accumulate for smooth movement to prevent meat from tearing.
- Trimming / Boning Knife. This is a small, stiff, thin and sharp knife with a pointed tip. It is basically for removing bones like in the case of butterflying a leg of lamb. It is easy to maneuver and is also for trimming off fat to get ideal cuts prior to competition. It also comes with a thick handle to give you a firm grip when working through fat.
- Breaking Knife. The type of knife you need to trim pork butts and brisket fats as well as break meat down. A butcher knife is best for this task.
- Utility Knife. This can be any size and any knife. You will need a utility knife to cut ropes, open charcoal bags or other similar stuff.
- Chef’s Knife. Most cooks refer to this as their “go to” knife. It features a slightly triangular and thick blade with a pointed tip. Some of this type of knife comes with a scalloped blade. It is ideal for chopping, cutting, trimming, and slicing. It works well for on thicker items.
- Cleaver. the wide-bladed knife works to blow through big bones when need be.
Top 4 Best Knives for BBQ Competition
1. Wusthof Classic 6-Inch Boning Knife
The Wusthof Classic 6-Inch Boning Knife comes with a flexible design and a blade made from high-car steel. The flexible blade allows it to follow the contour of the fillet or bone of a fish. Using this knife will not in any way degrade meat quality.
The blade of this Wusthof Classic boning knife is secured to the handle by three rivets. It features an anti-slip feature (a small metal gap between them) handle and blade so that your hand will not hit the blade even if it slips.
A user says this sharp knife easily glides through meat and lets her get closest to the bones ensuring the least wastage. The knife has a comfortable feel
The Wusthof Classic 6-Inch Boning Knife is resistant to corrosion and stains and has a total length of 12.5 inches. This razor sharp blade will stay sharp for a long period of time with some keep sharp maintenance. It is dishwasher safe and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
2. Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife
The Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife features a flexible and thin stamped blade. The blade is made from high carbon stainless steel making it corrosion and rust resistant. The tough and durable blade with cutting edge sharpness comes with a conical grind to allow easy cuts close to the bone with little wastage.
This Victorinox Swiss Army Fibrox Pro Boning Knife does not have a bolster so the entire blade is really used for cutting. This boning knife also comes with a pointed tip for easy piercing and a built-in finger guard in the handle. The handle comes with a slip-free, secure and comfortable grip.
A user says he is so pleased with this knife. He has been in the look-out for a good trimming knife since he has been serious with smoking meat. He has always wanted a sharp knife that can cut through excess meat with ease and this Victorinox Swiss Army Fibrox Pro Boning Knife is perfect.
The Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife is ideal for separating fish, poultry and meat from the bone as well as for trimming and skimming. It can handle boning of even large pieces of meat from whole or game hogs. This boning knife has a total length of 11.5 inches
3. Wusthof Classic Paring Knife
The Wusthof Classic is a super precise 3-1/2-Inch paring knife which comes with a tang design. This paring knife is ideal for peeling, cutting, and decorative slicing. The high carbon stainless steel blade of this paring knife is triple riveted to the handle for more stability and strength.
The handle of this knife is not too heavy or too light. It is ergonomically designed to comfortably fit the hand. This paring knife features the Wüsthof’s Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) ensuring a blade that is 20% sharper and remains sharp for longer periods of time.
A user says this is a fantastic knife that comes with a good weight. It does the job well and is comfortable in the hand.
The Wusthof Classic Paring Knife’s small and pointed blade is ideal for precise slicing, dicing and peeling of fruits and vegetables.
4. Victorinox Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife
The Victorinox Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife works best with briskets. This 12-inch slicing knife features a Granton blade that is ideal for the easy cutting of meat without shredding or tearing meat fibers.
The Victorinox Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife features a blade made from high carbon stainless steel that remains sharp for long periods of time. It comes with a slip-resistant handle that is comfortable on the hand.
A user says he loves to smoke briskets and needs a sharp knife to slice it or run the risk of ripping it off. The Victorinox Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife does the job extremely well. It is sharp out of the box.
The Victorinox Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife is light and well-balanced ensuring easy use. The straight blade can be easily sharpened and honed.
Complete your gear with a good pair of kitchen shears, reliable sharpening steel, and blade protectors.
Pitmasters need to be armed with the best knives for bbq competition. The Wusthof Classic Flexible Boning Knife (6-Inch) is ideal for home, professional and use in bbq competition makeshift kitchens. It works great for deboning with its razor-sharp cutting edge.