You wake up to a bright home, the coffee brewing, the thermostat at the right temperature and the window blinds opening. Your home is automated and you are living in a smart home with a smart home hub.
Home automation is a system that makes your home energy efficient. It centralizes the control of your entire household with just one gadget – a smart home hub and one app. A smart hub wirelessly connects thermostats, lights, smoke alarms, sound systems, motion detectors and all smart appliances and devices. A smart hub can also automate smart devices so they communicate with each even minus your interaction.
Vera vs SmartThings are two of the leaders in the home automation market. The Vera Control VeraPlus-US Smart Home Controller Hub and the Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub are what consumers often turn to when thinking of home automation.
Which of these two gadgets is right for your home? Which will give you the most benefits? Let us take a closer look at the Vera vs SmartThings so you can make an intelligent choice.
Vera vs SmartThings
Vera Control VeraPlus-US Smart Home Controller Hub
This controller hub is indeed the brain behind your smart home. It connects all of your smart devices and allows you to control them from anywhere through your smartphone.
Features and Benefits
The VeraPlus is affordable and easy to use. This gadget controls your entire smart home with only one app. You simply just need to connect all your home smart devices to the VeraPlus to control them individually or in clusters.
This will allow you to create a customized solution that will fit your lifestyle. You will also have peace of mind that your home is safe and secure because you will be able to control your home smart devices from anywhere.
With the VeraPlus you can automatically set your thermostat at the right temperature so your home is comfortable cool or warm when you get home. It also allows you to turn off lights and lock doors from the tip of your fingers with your smartphone, laptop or tablet.
It makes your home energy efficient because the thermostat is on only when someone is home. In short, it allows you to have the freedom of choice. Working with the VeraPlus does not require a monthly or annual subscription. Check out the user manual here.
Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub
The SmartThings allows you to connect to over 200 devices. This is more than what most hubs are capable of. It allows you to control all your home gadgets from a smartphone app depending on your need. This hub plugs into a wall and can also work with 4 AAA batteries good for 10 hours.
Features and Benefits
A lot of consumers consider the SmartThings as the smartest home hub. It is an extremely versatile hub that can power even the most comprehensive of DYI smart home systems. It is also compatible with various devices and can work with most of the major wireless protocols for smart homes.
The SmartThings sets up easily. It is powered by a wall outlet and must be directly wired to your home router. It has battery support good for 10 hours. The SmartThings accompanying app controls the hub. Here’s a how-to guide to set this up.
5” x 7.7” x 1.3”
4.2” x 4.9”x 1.3“
Number of Devices can Control
75 – 125
Up to 10 hours
Up to 10 hours
If it is peace of mind that you want when you are not home, the VeraPlus is a gadget that will give you just that. With this home automation system, you will never crawl in the dark and freeze cold or sweat when you get home.
With the VeraPlus you will be able to customize the automation of your smart home from a single smart device. You can schedule each of your home devices to open or function. You will also get text and email notifications once motion is detected. Each member of your family can have control of this automation hub with each having PIN numbers to access the mobile app.
- Can control more than 220 sensors including lights, locks, thermostat and a lot more in one home.
- Set up and operation is through any Wi-Fi enabled smartphone, laptop, tablet, or computer.
- Compatible with a lot of protocols used in smart homes.
- Used alongside a Vera U17 app for iOS, Android and Windows smartphones.
- Can be used with a Windows laptop or computer.
- Text and email notifications for motion detection.
- Supports multiple users with individual PINS
- Supports a wide range of smart home protocols.
- Quick and easy installation
- Can be used with various products
- No monthly or annual subscriptions
- Easy to add new devices for automated control
- Can be used by all members of the family with individual PINS
- Some customers say set and the pairing process can be challenging.
- Can be confusing to use the device
- Not capable of supporting a home theater
If you rely heavily on your smart home devices, then the VeraPlus is for you. It is capable of running over a hundred devices at the same time turning your home into a smart, smart home. If you only have a few smart devices in your home, though, it would be a waste of money to invest on the VeraPlus because you would only use 1% of the power of VeraPlus.
This is truly a smart device. It supports the three most important technologies in home automation – WiFi, Z-Wave and ZigBee.
All you need to keep this device running is to connect it directly to your home router using an Ethernet cable. It can then connect to all your home devices which also connect to the same network.
The web interface of this device is also easy to use and it comes with a seamless design that will match your home interiors. It says a lot that this device is a top seller in the Amazon Home Automation Controller section.
- Compatible with Bluetooth LE, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, ZigBee
- Supports IFTT
- Compatible with new generation Windows, iOS and Android devices
- Compatible with Amazon Echo and Apple Watch
- 10 hour battery back-up
- Can connect to unlimited smart home devices
- Comes with battery back-up ( 4 AAA/ 10 hours)
- Compatible with a wide range of third party smart devices (Bose, Samsung, Cree, Yale and a lot more)
- Can be accessed through Android and iOS apps
- Comes with options for a wide range of home audios
- Quick and easy installation and set-up
- Compatible with a wide range of home protocols
- No required subscriptions
- SmartThings companion app can be a challenge to understand.
- Disorganized mobile app
- Pairing with devices can sometimes be confusing and takes a long time
The SmartThings home hub is much more reliable and powerful than hubs in the market within the same price range. If you are ready to work with advanced features and integrations, then the SmartThings is your ideal choice.
Final Verdict: Vera vs SmartThings
Smart hubs are the brain that allows you to control all your smart-home devices and make them work together. Smart hubs work with smart thermostats, locks, lights, switches, room sensors and a lot more smart devices in your home. Comparing Vera vs SmartThings, the Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub is the most preferred by most users.